Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Value And Worth

You know what I love? When people tell me "Just find your worth in Jesus".

[NOTE: That was total sarcasm coated with zesty cynicism.]

It is so easy to find one's worth, purpose, even energy and excitement in things other than Jesus. Whether it be the amount of money one is making, the car one drives, the house one owns, or the romantic relationship one has.

I think that for some Christians, making lots of money, having a great boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse, or driving a nice car does not necessarily define who they are, but rather, it adds value to their sense of worth, purpose, and can even fuel their joy.

It is easy to find one's worth esteemed by a girlfriend/boyfriend saying things like "I am so blessed that the Lord brought you into my life" or "I'm thankful I get to love you everyday for the rest of my life" or "How did I get so lucky to have you as my own?" etc.

Who wouldn't be stirred up by such things? And in and of themselves, there is nothing inherently wrong with such sayings. But it is easy to slowly let this add value to who you think you are.

It is easy to find one's purpose being fulfilled by the yearly salary of six or seven digit figures. Seeing the amount one makes or perhaps the freedom and flexibility wealth offers, it feels good. And it is easy to slowly let this also add value to who you think you are.

A nice house is just that. A nice house. But a nice house is so much more. It is a sense of security. A place to call "home". And the nicer it is, the better one can feel. After all, which of us hasn't gone to someone's home only to return to ours and think "I'm so glad I don't live there". We're proud of our "nice" homes and who doesn't want a gorgeous home? And so the home too, can slowly add value to who you think you are.

None of these things are wrong. I hope to someday have a girlfriend I can love passionately and pursue with all my heart. I hope someday to make lots of money. And I hope someday to have a beautiful house to call my home.

But the moment I let those things add value to who I think I am I become vulnerable - that without them, I am "lost" or "nothing".

Not only that, but I have surreptitiously placed my trust and love in things/people and not the Lord. And now, should I lose my big beautiful house, or get fired from my six figure job, or should my girlfriend break up with me, I become hopeless. Not because any one of those things "defined" me, but rather, because I placed some sense of my worth in them.

[NOTE: I understand that with any loss, there is a certain amount of sadness/grief that accompanies it. I'm not saying  should you lose your house/job/relationship, that as a "true Christian" you should be dancing down the streets singing happy hymns.]

Having a nice home, going to a good university, having a fantastic job, a great girlfriend or awesome boyfriend, having an incredible spouse, none of these are wrong. BUT if I don't place Jesus over them, then they become my sense of value and worth. That without them, my life and purpose is hopeless.
 
Only Jesus can give me worth and value. Anything else is temporary and will fail. And if Jesus is not first, if He does not hold my whole heart, He will relentlessly pursue me and remove all other forms of worth and value that I have added to my life until it is only Him.

Jesus didn't die on the cross to share my love and value with a house, a relationship, or money. He died on the cross to have my complete love and to be my total sense of value.

The challenge is not to run away from wealth, a nice house, a loving girlfriend/boyfriend, fancy car or an IV league school. The challenge is to keep Jesus primary in the midst of all those things. To not become carried away and place my value in the high paying job, the big house, or the affirmation and love of a romantic relationship.

It's not easy. I have failed. Many times. 
 "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:21

No comments:

Post a Comment