Tuesday, November 12, 2013

The Winter Of My Heart

“Withstanding the cold develops vigor for the relaxing days of spring and summer. Besides, in this matter as in many others, it is evident that nature abhors a quitter.”        
― Arthur C. Crandall

Today was the first day that finally felt like winter. I don't think it warmed up much above 30 degrees. When I walked outside this morning, I took a deep breath of cold, crisp air and instantly it was like greeting an old friend from long ago. Unlike so many who reside in the North Country, I truly and absolutely love *winter!

[*Winter defined as: "Till January 1" and then I want it to end and become a hater.]

I am always amazed that this place I call home can go from warm, sunny, and bright, to dark, cold, and gray.  How is that possible? How can the very yard I lay soaking in the sun's rays during summer be the same yard I shovel in the cold of night?

As I stood on the porch breathing in the cold air, taking in the sights of the first truly crisp morning, I began thinking about the heart. How the heart can (and often does) go from bright, warm and sunny, to dark, cold and gray.

I began to recall the times not only in my life, but in the lives of those around me where I watched and in some cases, was the recipient of a heart grown dark, cold and gray.

A little while ago I watched a friend of mine in disbelief as their heart turned dark and cold towards me. It was a coldness I never thought could or would be in their life, let alone directed at me. It was much like the deep winter wind that cuts through you as you walk from your home to the car, even amidst the wear of a jacket, scarf, hat and gloves. The bitter cold somehow finds a way in to chill even the core of your body.

It was this same bitter cold that I experienced. Yet not from winter's force, but from once a dear friend.

But unlike the childlike fascination of summer somehow ushering in winter, there was no fascination or childlike wonder. Instead there was a desperate scramble to salvage the relationship and attempt, within all my capabilities to save what I once thought was going to be a life-long friendship.

However, this friendship would not last till even winter.

Winter undoubtedly means spring, and eventually summer will return. And for me, this coming winter is more than just the coldness of the air around me. It's the coldness of my own heart, from loss, from unanswered questions, from life.

I know this season of my life, this "winter" as it may be, will someday end - just as the physical winter season will. And I pray that when "summer" does come to my life, that I am found still being  faithful in Jesus Christ - being committed to Him, to the local church, and submitted to my authority.

I am fully aware that I am not infallible nor perfect, and that I could fall away into despair, anger, darkness, and run away from the very Lord that saved me and from the very church that raised me. Others have. And I am no better nor any more righteous or great than any that have left before me.

The sobriety of this has kept my heart at bay thus far. And may it always. 
"For my eyes are toward You, O God, the Lord; In You I take refuge; do not leave me defenseless." Psalm 141:8

No comments:

Post a Comment