Sunday, March 30, 2014

The Fruit Of My Likes/Favorites

"For a good tree does not bear bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit. For every tree is known by its own fruit. For men do not gather figs from thorns, nor do they gather grapes from a bramble bush. A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks."
- Luke 6:43-45 (NJKV)
For the past few months I have been thinking long and hard about this idea - bearing fruit. What's interesting is that Jesus very clearly identifies that we have the ability to bear either good fruit or bad fruit. But more than just bearing fruit, I've been pondering the question "How is the fruit in my life demonstrated?"

What does this proverbial "fruit" that Christ talks about look like?

Obviously the answer would be quite cumbersome should we attempt to exhaustively answer it. So I want to look at one specific platform that said fruit is demonstrated in my life – and perhaps that of many others.

Social media.

I have come to realize that the things I post, tweet, and instagram often reveal what I am thinking, feeling, or believe in. Likewise, the things I retweet, repost, or link to also reveal what I am thinking, feeling, or believe in.

But those are obvious examples.

What's not so obvious (or perhaps as noticeable) is the small click of a like/favorite. When I like/favorite something, it is a way of me showing affirmation and support of said thing. It is an avenue to express my thoughts, feelings, and beliefs. The very term "like" demonstrates affirmative support. Therefore, even the simplest click of a like/favorite exposes my thoughts, feelings, and beliefs.

"What's the big deal?" you might ask. "Who cares what you like/favorite?"

This is where it becomes a big deal: When what I like/favorite stands in opposition to Christ and His teachings.

And it's easy for me to disregard my likes/favorites as trivial and insignificant. But those things which I like/favorite divulge what's in my heart and the fruit that's in my life. Is my fruit good fruit? Does it align with Christ? Is it submitted to Scripture? Or is it fruit born from a heart that stands in opposition to Christ and His teachings? A heart that justifies my likes/favorites.

The reality is that people are looking, watching, and observing the things I like/favorite – those things which I support. Today my likes/favorites become notifications that instantly publicize my "fruit" to my friends/followers. And in their notifications, what fruit will they observe in my life? What things will they see me affirm? What things will they see me support?
"Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise,  making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is." - Ephesians 5:15-17 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment