Thursday, January 23, 2014

90 Days

I'm not good at new year's resolutions. I don't pretend to be. And because of my poor performance over the years with resolutions, I decided this year to not have any.

But what I have decided to do is a 90 commitment.

Beginning this past Monday, I committed to 90 days of reading my bible every day, and a 90 day period of going to gym.

[NOTE: I'm not going to the gym for 90 consecutive days, but rather, for a length of 90 days, going 3-5 times a week.]

Perhaps it's my personality, or maybe it's just me, but indefinitely signing up to go to the gym is overwhelming and I always give up within a couple weeks. Having a goal (90 days) allows me to pursue and concur it without the daunting feeling of it never ending. And at the end of 90 days, hopefully I don't just give up going to the gym all together. Hopefully a new goal will be set.

My 90 day commitment - both to the gym and to the Word - is not solely for appearance of strength and spirituality. I desperately need to be faithful in reading my bible.

Self-control.

Perseverance.

In my life, self-control and perseverance have always evaded my grasp. For some, you have seen first hand my absence of self-control and lack of perseverance.

I often find myself hanging my head in shame at what I feel should be masted by now; self-control and perseverance.

Two areas where I struggle greatly with these are with daily bible reading and the gym.

And this year, I didn't want yet another year to pass by where these particular fruits of the spirit didn't blossom in my life. So in a desperate attempt to begin a foundation of self-control and perseverance I committed myself to going to the gym and reading my bible for 90 days.

I know I need to be reading my bible, often, daily. I've preached messages about the importance of daily bible reading. I've had lengthy conversations about it. I know the reasons why I need to read my bible. I know my soul is in great need of the Word. Yet my bible has remained, unopened, upon my dresser. A constnat reminder with every layer of dust that my soul too, is in need of a spiritual dusting off.

So this means waking at 6 in the morning, reading my bible, going out in -25 degree weather, driving to Potsdam, and working out from 6:45-7:45. It means being uncomfortable and tired. It means being incredibly sore - and I mean incredibly. It means forcing myself to eat more than just the standard one or two meals a day that have become habit.

And each morning while I drive, freezing cold, to the gym I pray. They're not elaborate prayers. They're simple, often through chattering teeth.  I pray "Lord, help me to have self-control and endurance. Do a work in my mind and heart so I give you complete control over me."

Monday, January 20 I began and committed till April 20. That is my goal and I plan on concurring it fully.

No comments:

Post a Comment